Monday, November 5

3 tips for shy bloggers





Hey guys, so when you started out fashion blogging did you feel slightly embarrassed asking a friend/family member to take a photo of you and your outfit? When they said why, did you feel reluctant to say you wanted to start a fashion blog? Well if you're anything like me and like to keep things to yourself then YES that's exactly how it felt. Of course, fashion blogging is not something to be embarrassed of, rather the opposite but because that person who you asked help from had no idea that that's where your interest lies. If you're quiet about it like me then it poses many questions like "since when did you like fashion?","you have a blog?" and next comes the ordeal of telling them how to take photos. You tell them how you want the photos to look. telling them "zoom into my jacket", "get me at the side" "take a picture of me beside this tree and looking dreamily into the sky". (we all do it don't worry) You end up feeling embarrassed. BUT "cast thy nighted colour off" all you Hamlets out there for I have some tips that have helped me.

TIP 1: Start off telling someone you trust/a lover of fashion/someone you know won't judge you or laugh at you. Bring a friend along to help you out and take the photos, play some music and don't think about it as a daunting task , just have fun :) Soon you won't care what anyone thinks because you're awesome and are brave enough to go out and do it.

Once you've past that milestone then comes the bigger step of taking photos in public, I have yet to do it in a busy, bustling street with tall buildings and fancy statues behind me but until then I think driveways and secluded parks will do just fine. I really do admire those fashion bloggers who stand confidently in a public place, pose and move on ignoring the peering eyes from behind a pole (I did see this in a photo one time!). Maybe when I really get my blog up and running I'll build up the courage to do it. Do you feel shy taking photos in public? Or do you feel shy but ignore it and run with your ideas? Let me know :)

TIP 2: Start by going to parks or somewhere in the open but not extremely busy. An empty car park looks good in photos but don't have a supermarket in the back :P Walk along your estate or some place local just get out there bit by bit and soon enough you wont care if there's many around.

(UPDATED 19.11.12)
Okay so...first tell someone, second get out there. Got it. Still feeling awkward when you're doing outfit posts? It comes down to thinking too much about it. I remember these thoughts running through my head, "Okay will I put my hands here?...what pose will I do now?...Maybe if I...or?..." Oh the awkwardness of it all.

TIP 3: Don't think about every pose. If you're showing off your outfit then just standing looks good as well as looking down, crossing legs etc. so just don't over think it. Smile from time to time, its a fashion blog not a serial killer article (bit of an exaggeration but you get me)!
Hope these tips help. You've really got to push yourself and slowly move past the shyness all in the name of fashion. Please let me know what you think. Is it just me who felt shy talking about it when starting out?

Naz x

23 comments :

  1. YES and YES to the first to question. I even bought a tripod so I didnt have ask anyone to help me take pictures. Even then, taking pictures with a tripod has failed because I feel shy taking my own pics out in public.

    I still do not have the courage to take pictures in public. I am new to the blogging world... maybe that's one of the factors as well. But it just feels so weird how everyone's eyes is just stuck on you, yknow?

    But yeah, Im on the same boat as you. Great post by the way!

    http://5ftandpetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad to hear I'm not alone on this haha!
      I think you should try and ask at least one person, i asked my sister because it felt better to have someone rather than a tripod while starting out. But as long as you feel comfortable you'll do fine :)

      omg yes. thats why for now i'll do it in public but not busy streets!

      Thank you, hope it helped in some way :)

      Delete
  2. This is exactly what I'm feeling at the moment! I basically just started my blog and I really want to start an outfit of the day, but I dont want to ask anyone to take my photo. I think I'll definitely have to just man up, and ask them.
    Thanks so much for this amazing post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely go for it! I know how you feel :) ask someone like a family or friend, show them other fashion blogs to show them what you mean too!

      No problem, so glad you like it :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome post! Totally feel that way too! Check out my blog if you'd like: http://when-im-older.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article! When I first began my blog I took my pictures inside. I later started taking pictures outside of my home. The neighbors were confused and sometimes stopped and watched me. Eventually it became the norm. Now I've began taking them on busy streets. Most people don't seem to notice others are truly fascinated by it all. I just say to myself, I'll never see these people again in my life and pose for the camera!

    www.ashleyudoh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a really good way to approach it!Glad it worked out for you! It's so true, you'll never see them again and most will admire you for having the courage to do it :)

      Delete
  5. taking outfit photos can be so awkward! at least you have someone with you, taking the photos. i take all of mine with my iphone on a little tripod, so i look extra crazy!

    the few times i've had someone taking the photos, i just pretend we're shooting for a magazine or something super legit. they aren't judging me in a way i should feel embarrassed--they wish they were me!

    writeslikeagirlblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg hahah ME TOO. I say something about a magazine or media project for college!

      So true, when they're looking at you they aren't really judging, just wondering what you're doing :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the tips! Love this post!

    http://www.gelatolollobrigida.blogspot.com

    xo

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha yeah everyone feels a little shy at the beginning! And even along the way...! I have a tripod as well with even a remote control, but that only works in private really. You can't go around in busy places and standing in the middle of nothing with your tripod taking pictures of yourself... that would look too weird for everyone! MAybe the yard or your street would be fine...! I feel lucky cause lately I moved in with a friend of mine and she's a good photographer as well, and she doesn't judge about the fashion blog and all, so I hopefully will start taking more pictures of my freaky self!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah streets and yards are good enough for me right now!
      yeah I'd feel too awkward with tripods :P awh thats really good, thats really handy for you! Definitely take that oppurtunity to take more pictures especially since she's willing to help out :)

      Delete
  8. great tips for new bloggers! it can be so nerve-wrecking in the beginning!

    Stop by for a visit,

    Lydia from Vintage2Vogue

    www.vintagetwovogue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG you hit this on the nail! I am just starting a fashion/beauty blog and I feel weird asking people to take my pic for me lol. These were good tips and if you have tips for me about my blog please let me know... KimmyKouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. eep I am super shy about it, hopefully these tips will help me :)
    xx mili

    callmemaeby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. woww great post! i definitely feel it:) i don't have outfit posts that often because i have nobody to take the pictures! following you now gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah...I've been blogging for 3 years and still barely anyone knows about my blog!! Hahaha

    Love,
    Rachel

    http://www.thefashionedition.co.uk/
    https://twitter.com/TFashionEdition

    ReplyDelete
  13. I´m shy, with my blog and in person, just a few people know I have a blog and most of them don´t understand wath it´s and I feel really akward when I ask someone to take a picture of me and my outfit. I hope I can impprove it, I found this post very useful. thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post is definitely needed in the blogging community! I've recently started my own fashion blog and I'm still quite shy but these tips are really helpful. You've got a great blog too!

    Llana x
    www.chicncoveted.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post is spot on! I have been putting off taking outfit photos because of how awkward I'm going to feel. It's good to know I'm not alone! Great post.


    Olivia
    baublestobubbles.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really good. I do feel awkward and have even been told I take pictures of myself because I like looking at myself. :D That is why I end up taking pictures with my timer, by myself in the vine yards. :)

    Iris♥ @ The BlueBirdhouse

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are great! I'm just starting out and I feel exactly this way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love hearing what you have to say, and appreciate it! :)